Friday, July 4, 2008

My Experience at My First Job – Part II



“Well begun is half done” they say, but I am very sure I was not at the best in the beginning; I felt like I kid, I felt like I am in a land where I don’t understand a thing. New experience, new people, new business, new environment, but I was ready to face all this and learn and understand and so I did. I worked as far as I could, learnt everyday and not only business but several silly things like how to staple papers properly. It was learning everyday in some way or the other.

When I talk about my experience, I got only one person in my mind I can think of, and this was the person behind what ever I learnt what ever I did and accomplished. This person was none other than my immediate boss. Apart from being my boss he is also an alumnus of my college (5 yrs senior to me). He was instrumental in making my project as interesting as it ended up being. The moments I mostly cherish and rejoice in my office are the times when I used to be in discussion with him, our discussion at times used to go on for hours and those were the times when I learnt most of the things I learnt in the whole training period. I can never forget his upfront answers, straight forward remarks and cool attitude. He would have edited my reports N number of times, every time I used to edit it and he was able to find many more faults in them, but all he used to ask in the end was “are u not confident and satisfied”, if my reply was No, he used to say “don’t submit it as far as you are confident yourself” and these words always made me work harder and review things as well as I could. There was scope for improvement always but I was never in condition to determine when it was time to say done and then I used to seek his guidance. I owe major part of all my acknowledgement and regards to him for my project work, but he doesn’t believe in all this formality. I cherish those days and I have been telling all my friends that I have got the best possible boss amongst all of us.

The training period gave me various opportunities to learn and understand a lot of things, to have a new perspective, to be bold enough to take a stand (this is the most difficult lesson I learnt, I am quite bad at it at times and there were numerous occasions in the training period which highlighted this) and to be clear enough while saying or doing something. Overall it was an amazing experience and mainly since the head of my department once told me “I (we) like working with you and we have liked your attitude”, I was on top that day and had only one thought in mind that I need to carry on this good work and image throughout the training period, hope I succeeded in it.

Over all the experience and exposure was good, the other people in the department were very supportive, I did not have much interaction with them but then it was like a home away from home for those few hours I used to be there. One important thing which I would mention is the facility and the infrastructure provided in the organization was remarkable, again I would say I got the best even in this case compared to others, be it the refreshments provided or the printout facility or any other thing I did not find even a single problem, everything was very comfortable. I truly felt as a part of the team I worked in, even though I was not actively in conversation with others but then I felt as one amongst them.

I truly feel to have had an amazing experience and I feel proud to have been a part of such a nice organization and having worked with such great people. Pardon me I haven’t mentioned about the owner of the company yet, believe me if I start writing about that personality I would not know where to stop, he is such a Legend from what ever I know about him. Only thing I repent from the training period is, I did not get a chance to meet the Legend, who owns the company. Would some time share about him as I keep doing whenever I talk about my internship to everyone I know. And I wish I could some day meet or see this brilliant mind that runs such a great company.

Stay tuned …….. :-)

No comments: